Friday, January 17, 2014

Happy Martin Luther King Day (Jan 20,2014)

In three more days, on January 20,2014, we will be celebrating Martin Luther King Day in all 50 states in the United States. Last August 28, 2013 marked the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington where Rev.Dr.Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his famous "I Have A Dream" speech.

I was in college when I first heard the speech. I came to this country with the knowlege that he was a reverend and a civil rights activitist and I had a lot of respect for what he did. But hearing his speech for the first time was something that I would never forget. To this day, when I hear his speech, tears will start flowing down. I can feel the struggle,hope, and the fight for freedom and equality in his speech. I remember asking myself how could someone be so selfless? Where did he find his strength? Where did he find his courage? If only I could talk to him today. These would be the questions that I had and of course, I would like to give my sincerest thanks to him. Thank you for being born. Thank you for all that you do!

While talking to my colleagues in the Food and Nutrition department, I realized that many of us felt so grateful for the work Rev.Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. did. Here is a few feedbacks of how they felt when they hear the speech for the very first time:

" I look up to Dr.Martin Luther King Jr. He is very strong, powerful and influential. He wanted everyone to be seen equal, which we should do. I personally look up to him. In 2009, I went to the National Civil Rights museaum in Memphis, Tennessee  http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/ which unfortunately is also the place Dr. Martin Luther King died. The visit was very impactful and emotional"
Quote from Shaina Volovick

"He is very passionate on what he wanted and he was there for the people"
Quote from Kellsey Morley

"He fought for a good cause and he died for a cause which he believed in. If he was still here today, I am sure he would continue this amazing journey"
Quote from Herb Rukin

" I feel free, pride,feel like you have someone who stands for your rights. It's a good feeling and it makes me happy"
Quote from Myrlande David

"We all should get along. That the United States should be a country where everyone gets along"
Quote from Jason Surette

Here is a link to his speech from the National Archives http://www.archives.gov/press/exhibits/dream-speech.pdf and the video in the International Business Times article
http://www.ibtimes.com/i-have-dream-speech-full-transcript-video-read-dr-martin-luther-king-jrs-1963-speech-its-50th

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment