Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Patients are the heart of everything we do.......

Patients are the heart of everything we do……

Have you ever heard the phrase, “do what you love and you will never work a day?” I always wonder if this is just another cliché or if there is some truth to it? Perhaps it is just another one of those “pick me up” lines when one needs some motivation. I started to look around and found my inspiration in two of my colleagues in the Environmental Services department- Irene Camacho and Gustainvil Lozius.

Irene Camacho, supervisor in the Environmental Services department has been working at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center for 21 years. She comes to work everyday with a smile and a positive attitude. Last week I got a call from her. She sounded so happy and excited and I had to tell her to calm down so I could understand her. She told me she was checking her floor and came across a patient who needed assistance to scratch her back. She offered to help the patient. The patient was so shocked when she realized Irene works in the Environmental Services department and she will help the patient even though it is not part of her job. Irene told the patient that it is her job to take care of the patient and she is more than happy to assist the patient whenever she can. The patient told Irene that this is the first time the patient is admitted at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center and she is very impressed with the hospital and everyone who works here. Irene was so happy to hear the compliment about the hospital and it just made her day. When I saw Irene later, she still had a smile on her face. The smile of satisfaction and happiness.

Gustainvil Lozius, “Gus”, linen handler and turndown service attendant has been working at the hospital for 8 years now. He also comes to me each day with a smile of satisfaction on his face and I enjoy hearing the story about “his patients”. Due to patient privacy, he did not share patient information with me. Just brief information on how he makes a difference in the patient’s day by making them smile, assisting them with their needs or when a patient told him they missed him and hope to see him again the next day. We receive compliments from patients almost once a week on Gus. A few days ago, a patient called down to the office to compliment Gus and told our administrative assistant she believes he’s the one that helped her make it through her surgery! I went up to see the patient with Gus to thank the patient for her recognition. When we left, the patient asked Gus “Will you come back to see me later?” .The patient already missed Gus.

I believe the stories from these two individuals provide me with the answer. It is indeed true that if you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life. You make a difference for everyone you serve and take joy and satisfaction just by looking at their smile.

Thank you Irene and Gus! Thank you for putting patients at the heart of everything we do…..
Irene Camacho and Gustainvil Lozius

No comments:

Post a Comment